The Great Sacandaga Lake is an excellent recreational resource for all types of paddlers. The lake lies in the southern section of the Adirondack Park and stretches across two counties – Fulton and Saratoga. You can explore the open water of the main lake, paddle around the islands along the western shore, bird watch in the marshes, or just float around by one of the numerous beaches. From your craft, there are rewarding views of farmed pastures, wooded mountainsides and peaks of the southern Adirondacks. Northville and Broadalbin are two of the 14 North Country towns located along the 125-mile shoreline. Stop for lunch or grab a snack to get a feel for the towns before you put-in and explore part of this 29-mile long body of water.
- Town of Day, Northville, Broadalbin, North Hampton, Hadley
- Activities: Kayak Touring, Swimming, Powerboats
- Length: 29 miles
- Scenery: Mixed Natural and Summer Cottages
Trip Tip: 5 Public Access Points
When the floodgates of the Conklingville dam were closed for the first time in 1930, 25,000 acres of the Sacandaga Valley were submerged. Run off draining into the upper reaches of the Sacandaga River covered several towns 40 to 75 feet under water. To this day, the Conklingville Dam is still operational and has created a picturesque destination for flatwater kayaking and canoeing.
Directions: Conklingville Dam, Hadley
To get to this launch from Hadley/Luzerne, travel west on County Route 4. After 2 miles bear left onto County Route 7 and South Shore Rd. Make a left at the stop sign and continue over Stewart Dam. Continue to the right on South Shore Rd along Stewart Pond on your right. As you approach the Conklingville Dam continue to the left. The access is on the right just south of the dam.
Boat Launch, Day
- Located on North Shore Rd (Route 4) five miles north of the Hamlet of Edinburgh and 12 miles south, by road, of the Conklingville dam.
Boat Launch, Northville, Fulton County
- Located on Route 30 about one half of a mile north of the Northville Bridge.
Boat launch, Broadalbin, Fulton County
- Located three miles northeast of the Village of Broadalbin on Lakeview Road, off of County Route 110.
Northampton Beach, Fulton County
- Located three miles south of Northville on County Route 152 off of Route 30. Keep an eye out for the signs off of Route 30 directing you to the park entrance.